Why does Gorilla glue suck?

Also interesting to note that humans aren't caught in fishing nets deployed my the dolphins and served in casserole along tuna and cheese, nor subjugated by dolphins are taught to react to verbal signals. My dog knows about 12 words of English. Guide dogs for the blind often know German. So what?

Reply to
Ben Siders

"@40tude.net...

The Difference is, that I don't carry on a conversation with the idgets with the bumper sticker, and don't have any chance to voice my counter points. I might converse with you, and would like to do so, without wanting to spout off.

Don't feel like I was picking on just you. There are many others, but I usually bite my tounge, and save giving a piece of mind. Problem is, I don't like holding back.

Reply to
Morgans

Maybe not, they could be on leave from their school (pod) for some post dock work in foreign/primative languages or primate studies.

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

In some ways, that's an even more disturbing thought.

Doug Miller

I had never meant for my signature to inspire conversation, either. It was just supposed to be there, innocently lurking below my name. Perhaps to be read, mostly to be ignored. Never to be its own thread....

I couldn't agree more, that the conversation here should be about woodworking. I am really wishing I hadn't chosen what turned out to be such a volatile signature.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

Because they may be insecure with their beliefs and probably need that constant reminder.

Reply to
Leon

Or perhaps they're trying to give a constant reminder to others. After all, the US media and public have a very short memory :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

*************************************

When one of those WMD's that got taken to Syria before the war started, ends up shoved up your A**, you will know where they are.

See what you made me do? I couldn't hold back when you so immaturely presented such a large target.

Reply to
Morgans

Or, perhaps they want to offer an opposing viewpoint to an opinion already offered.

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

IMHO they were either moved out early or were destroyed when we pounded the area.

Reply to
Leon

LOL!!! I just found out milk makes a good monitor cleaner. ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

Reply to
Bob Bowles

How tight was the clamping pressure?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Nope, during college I worshipped at the Altar of the Porcelain God quite a bit.

Reply to
Steve

OK, I'll bite. #1 son? ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

I've used GG for a number of outdoor applications and have had no problem. Remember that per the instructions, apply the glue lightly to one of the two surfaces and apply water lightly to the other. The glue draws its moisture from that water, and will expand to about 4x its original volume. Then clamp tightly for 1-4 hours. The end grain to end grain joint isn't very strong, but it should have held better than what you've described if the glue was properly applied.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Yeah, right...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Jack of All Trades" (JOAT) has a current sig of "If we're all God's children, what's so special about Jesus?" If I were a Christian, I imagine it would be very tempting to write a long ranting response explaining what was so special about Jesus. Since I'm not, I feel no such compulsion, but I keep expecting that sig to generate a huge thread.

Heck, maybe it's just about to do so. :)

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

I think there may be a couple things going on here. First, an end grain joint is inherently weak. I know, I know, one side is edge grain, but a joint hath two sides, and is only as strong as its weakest component. Second, and this is speculative because I obviously didn't see you glue the joint, it sounds like, perhaps because of your prior troubles, you may have used TOO much water. As others have indicated, PU works best in the presence of MOISTURE. I've seen people really dousing the wood prior to using this stuff (again, I'm not saying YOU did this). Just a very light misting of water from a spray bottle is MORE than enough.

For an end grain joint like this, I would use epoxy. Or some mechanical assistance.

Reply to
brad

One other thing: If it's hard maple, my experience with that wood has been that, particularly when it's sanded, it can become almost "burnished" so that it does not absorb stain, for example, easily. I'm wondering whether whatever quality that causes that also affects its "glue-ability?"

Reply to
brad