software

I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James

Reply to
<dsbsoft

I am confused. Would it be legal if you acquired it from some one other than CabinetVision?

Reply to
Leon

Don't know....that's why I'm asking. I have seen posts to sell the product and was wondering how it would work. Don't want to do anything illegal.

James

Reply to
JamesB

Email CabinetVision. They'll set you right up.

Reply to
CW

Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal key and software, what's to stop them from selling to me. Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't it yours to do with as you please? I'm not trying to be a pain, just want to know.

James

Reply to
JamesB

Nothing _____________

Yes

Reply to
dadiOH

Your initial post didn't say enough to know what you wanted. There are so many requests for cracks and freedownloads of copyrighted material on the net that that is the first thing that comes to mind. Some of the software companies want you to believe that you never own it, they are just allowing you to use it, thus can not sell it but when it comes down to it, they are covered by copyright, the rest is in their lawyers dreams. Yes, they can sell it.

Reply to
CW

If you can get the invoice, manual or license agreement you should be able to get the key from the manufacturer. If you can get two of these three items most of time a software company will provide you with a key. Some companies are little more strict than others.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yeah, I guess I kinda left out some info on my original post. Sorry.

Well, if there is anyone who has the program (CabinetVision) with a key and wants to sell, I'm in the market.

James

Reply to
JamesB

When it comes to software you may not really own what you buy. Most software is sold as a right to use license only. You don't own it and you cannot re-sell it. Read the license agreement and warranty. The warranty only says that the delivery media is free of defects, not the software itself.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

They'd sure like you to believe that.

Reply to
CW

It seems to me that it is * a right to use* and only on one machine. Many of the SW programs now require activation. I'm not a geek but I assume that during this *activation* the program is grabbling the IP add of the machine. If you try to install with the same key on another machine it would be rejected and the program will not run. I believe the poster above is correct - it is not like a baseball glove - you don't own it and cannot resell it. And maybe, you cannot reuse it if say you changed machines and ended up with a new IP address.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Nowhere close.

Reply to
CW

Joe Bemier wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

At least you're not afraid of technical geeky words... Even if you don't understand that IP addresses change all the time. I may get a new IP address while writing this post--if my modem disconnects and has to reconnect.

Most software licensing allows you to install one copy of the software on your computer for your own use. If you uninstall the software from the computer and install it on another, you are in most cases well within your rights.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

There is significant debate over this; certainly software companies would like to take the most restrictive approach; but there is some substantial opinion that this violates right of first sale ownership as covered in uniform commercial code. Take a look at various discussions on

this is an Infoworld editor who covers various concerns with software vendors. It appears that no one has yet tried this through the various court systems, or that there is considerable difference in opinions rendered by lower courts.

Mark & Juanita

Well, I stated that I don't know much of these things. What I posted is what seemed to be happening. So, I learn something. And, I learned that IP add's will change. I was certainly under the impression thatwith high Speed the IP add stayed the same and only with DiaUp did a new number get assigned eac session.

Anyway, it seems like the SW giants are doing something to know when and on what machine we install their SW. Symantec and MS lead this from what I can see.

Thanks for your info.

Joe Bemier

Joe Bemier wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

With broadband, they *might* stay the same. It's not guaranteed (unless you pay the extra money for a static IP) and can happen at what seems like quite random times. Network cards have a MAC (Media Access Control--not Macintosh) address that is set in hardware and doesn't change.

Microsoft Windows reads and stores certain IDs that should never change during the operation of your computer. If enough of them change, the program thinks it might be in a different computer and requests reactivation. The above mentioned MAC address is one of the items it looks at.

I imagine Symantec may be copying the idea to an extent.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Not many machines have static IPs.

Reply to
dadiOH

Actually, no software is ever sold unless intellectual rights are part of the agreement which you and I won't ever see. What CAN be done is to transfer the LICENSE to use it. One never owns the software, only the license to use it. It sucks, but the courts support it.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Not true unless it's tied to the specific computer it's supplied on, as in OEM versions of windows.

The license CAN be transferred to another person as long as it's not tied to some hardware, and that can be done ofr a fee. Then the new user relicenses the software, thereby negating the registration of the previous user and any features that went with it like updates, etc.. The EULA's explain it pretty well, really, if one reads t hem.

Pop

Reply to
Pop