Re: which dust collector

Dusty,

As I'm sure others will point out, a good bit depends on how you intend to use it. The types you listed (generally speaking) are good for one machine (at a time) and the runs between machines and DC should be kept as short as possible. I have a friend who has a Grizzly 2 hp model and based on how his works and my own requirements, I have ordered theirs (model G1029). Can't really say exactly how it will go in my shop (hoping it will really suck though ;). If you like I'll be glad to keep you updated. The specs were what sold me. About 1550 CFM and a static pressure of 12.3. (Also they were giving away a good bit of free stuff and it was on sale...delivered it's only about $100 more than what you're looking at). At any rate, it's worth a look.

It does require a 220v service but that's not too much of a problem for me. On the whole, I tend to go for the "bigger is better" line when purchasing shop equipment. YMMV....usually disclaimers apply.

Peace.... Spencer Ten Mile, TN

Help me choose between a > 1. Delta DC 17a $160 1hp > B. Jet DC610 $180 ? hp > 3. Tradesman 9992 $150 .75 hp > > Based on price / hp I'd go with 1. But I'd like other opinions. > Thx, > Mr. Dusty
Reply to
Spencer

MAke sure you get a metal propeller. Grizzly makes excellent DCs. A

1.5 is much better at dust collection than a 1 HP, although perhaps a little more noise.
Reply to
Phisherman

Do you have any sense as to how noisy the Grizzly is relative to others, same size? All I know is my ShopVac and it is much noisier than my RAS, and yet I supposedly have a "quiet" ShopVac. Since they don't rate the DCs with sones, AFAIK, it's tough to shop for DCs if sound is an issue, which it is for me.

Reply to
Igor

Mr. Dusty wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Mon, Jul 21, 2003, 11:38pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@inMyGarage.com (noone) Help me choose between a

  1. Delta =A0 =A0 DC 17a 0 1hp B. Jet =A0 =A0 =A0 DC610 0 ? hp
  2. Tradesman 9992 =A0 0 .75 hp Based on price / hp I'd go with 1. But I'd like other opinions. Thx, Mr. Dusty
****************************************************** Whatever you choose I suggest that you buy the Long Ranger Remote Control. I have one and clip the transmitter on my belt. Wherever I am in the shop I can start and stop the DC by pushing a button. Incidently I have a Delta and am pleased with it. Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:52:51 GMT, "Spencer" wrote: ). If you like I'll be glad to keep you updated. The specs were

the specs are pretty much bogus. I don't think there is any real difference between the jet delta and grizzly 2hp dc's they all use 12" blowers and none in the real world will get more then 400 to 500 cfms at a machine. there is no real way the grizzly has 1550cfms. if you use the stock bags you won't even get the 400 to 500 cfms.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Do you have any sense as to how noisy the Grizzly is relative to others,

I can hardly hear my RAS when it is running and not cutting.. (?) My Shop Vac is extremely loud and high pitched to boot....so I enclosed it in a plywood cabinet lined with old carpet... My Telephone is about

10-12 feet away from my DC (Griz 1029)...and I can talk on that phone while the DC is running without the least bit of pboblem....This is not to say it is quiet...but a heck of a lot quieter then my shop vac (or any that I have ever owned)... None of my equipment comes anywhere near the noise level of the shop vac ..not even close...the router most likely comes the closest to the shop vac when comparing noise levels...

Bob G

Reply to
Bob G.

Yes, but can you HEAR on the phone? (Insert smiley emoticon here.)

Thanks greatly. That is exactly what I needed to know. Not having ever heard a DC operate, I was wondering if I should run one from an outside closet (just through the wall from my shop-in-progress) as I plan to do with my compressor. Now I know I don't have to. So, the Griz works well and the noise is modest. SOUNDS good to me. Again, thanks.

Reply to
Igor

Went to the library and checked out the book; controlling woodshop dust". Worth the read.

-Rick

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

For $20, I wired two three-way switches on my DC circuit. One switch is located overhead in each of my power tool triangles.

Triangle #1 is the table saw / jointer / planer. Triangle #2 is my CMS / drill press / multi-use DC outlet (sander / scrollsaw / band saw)

I'm never more than 2 feet from a switch, for less than an hour's work and $20, with no remote to track down.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .