Homebuilt Wood Lathe

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Prometheus

Well, see that? I've already done that other stuff, need something new to kill me. :)

Not much use for that homemade thermite, JOAT. I made a smallish bit of it a long time ago, and while I worked (at least partially), it was little more than a science experiment. Too hot for much beyond wrecking things.

That, and people are always telling us to recycle.

Reply to
Prometheus

Fibre glass matting, as used to repair car bumpers (fenders?)

I think you're supposed to pull into individual fibres and add to the cement mixer.

Reply to
bigegg

Mon, Oct 23, 2006, 1:58pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) doth sayeth: In my overall working life, it's been the same story each time.

I've had similar experience, not with mechanical work tho. Spent most of my working life with people telling me I can't do something. Finally figured out that they usually meant "they" couldn't do it, and either thought they were smarter than me, so I certainly couldn't do it; or, they didn't want me to do it and show them up, because they didn't know how to do it. None of it was rocket science, and I don't think I ever ran across anything I couldn't figure out. Also had some of those people later taking credit for work I'd done.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Mon, Oct 23, 2006, 2:04pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) doth sayeth: Not much use for that homemade thermite, JOAT. I made a smallish bit of it a long time ago, and while I worked (at least partially), it was little more than a science experiment. Too hot for much beyond wrecking things.

It has other uses? Actually I was thinking along the lines of cutting up old junk casrs (I have sons) into small enough pieces to put in the trash can. Probably not a real good project.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

| I can only | imagine the amount of stuff that can be figured out by going | through the process of developing the machine itself. Might be | able to make some nice woodworking machines I can't otherwise | afford, to boot.

YES! There's no "might be" about it.

Morris Dovey

Probably not. It may well do the job, but there's a signifigant fire hazard involved, and welding goggles are definitely called for. Don't do it over anything you want to keep (like the driveway). :)

My guess would be that you'd need quite a lot of the stuff. It'll burn through anything, but I suspect it helps if that "anything" is solid- like the engine block. If you put it on the roof and expect it to cut the car in two, my guess is you'd end up with a lot of bright sparks in the interior of the car lighting everything in sight on fire, and floor panels that look like swiss cheese.

Considering the amount of grinding or filing you'd need to do to have enough to scrap a car, it's probably easier (though less fun) to use a saber saw and an angle grinder.

Or even better... build a huge trebuchet and launch the suckers somewhere else. Your neighbors might not like that much, but I suspect there's a business opportunity in there somewhere. I know there have been a few cars I'd have paid good money to demolish with a huge catapult.

Reply to
Prometheus

Tue, Oct 24, 2006, 3:50am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) doth sayeth: Probably not. It may well do the job, but there's a signifigant fire hazard involved,

Yeah, I know. Fun thought tho. I know a guy who cut up an entire car, and put it in his trash can to get rid of it. Took a few weeks, because the trash can would only hold so much, and I understand the trash guy was a bit miffed.

I had to have a parts car removed a bit back. Hurt to do it, but no choice at the time. The tow truck guys (actually a roll back) were about like Abott and Costello, or Laurel and Hardy, watching them made losing the car almost enjoyable.

I guess I'll have to get another Lindsay catalog and see what I need from it.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Prometheus wrote:...

Or a sawsall with a metal cutting blade. Mine cuts through

2" steel pipe right quick. Should cut through a car fast too.

If you do go the thermite route, please get it on video and post it!

Reply to
fredfighter