ANYONE USE A TABLE SAW EXTENSION FOR ROUTER USE?

If so, do you obtain good results? Can you comment on ease of use? I am going to woodworking show in Wisconsin this weekend and am thinking of purchasing this type of router system to save on space in my shop. Any comments regarding experience on such will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....Roger

Reply to
Roger M.

I've got a HEAVY NuCraft router table that fits like a table saw extension on my saw. I use my Vega fence and miter bars for both the table saw and the router. I also use the same on/off switch. I highly recommend this set up.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

I have mine like this and it works well. But why would you buy it? Make it....it's an enjoyable afternoon.

(pics of mine in the "old shop photos" section at URL below.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

I have the router mounted in the extension of my Unisaw - It works great.

TeamCasa

Yup. Love it. Build it yourself though - much more fun than buying one.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yep, I have one attached to the left cast iron wing of my Ridgid TS2424 saw. It was recommended that I use the router table in lieu of the left wing but I thought the wing was stout enought to support it so I just drilled some holes and bolted it to the left side of the wing rather than the saw itself. It works fine and it gives me a much bigger area on the left side of the saw if I leave the router fence off and crank the router down low. I've got a Porter Cable

7513 router in it with a Mast - R- Lift and it's as stout a combination as you could ask for.

No regrets. I bought mine at Woodcraft for around $300 (IIRC) a year or two ago.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I did for years. My experience was as follows:

Pros: Saves space Can use TS fence for router, if your fence is double sided TS is heavy, so things stay in place and vibrations are absorbed

Cons: Bit is sometimes in way when you need the real estate for TS use If the setup doesn't have a box around the router, it's not as clean as a well designed router table Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing

If you can't swing the space or cash for a rudimentary, shop built table, it's a good solution. I wouldn't spend cash on a fancy version, because you'll want a standalone version eventually.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
Eric

Hi Roger,

I have been seriously considering the same thing for my shop. One option is this set-up from MLCS (phenolic mount):

this from Rockler (extruded aluminum plate):

(watch the wrap)

Another was to build one using the Rockler extruded aluminum plate for support (around $50 IIRC):

will be following this thread to see what others have done.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

... You had the wrong system

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I have two, a Bosch (discontinued) that works well and allows me to remove the router in moments (thus it's not in the road). I also milled the cast iron extension to allow a plexi dropin mount. I can take that out and put in a blanking plug. I would do either (or both) again. Both allows me to have two setups ready

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Your system allows the router to be removed, and the fence to be moved, and then replace everything with perfect accuracy? What is it?

I liked the space savings, so if such an animal exists, I'd use it again.

I also used Bosch routers that allow me to pull the motor out, as well as a removable plate. Neither fix the problem with moving the fence.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

FWIW, I recently got a Jointech system that I am hoping to find the time soon to install. In _theory_, that should solve the problem. In theory.

-- Igor

igor

I have one I built as a torsion box to replace the left wing on the tablesaw. I've used it for several years and it works well for me. But I have a small shop and really didn't have room for a separate router table. Certainly not one with the table surface I have now.

I made a screw-on fence that attaches to the saws rip fence. But a lot of times I just clamp a straight board to the table or use a piloted bit. So the advantage of being able to use the rip fence isn't as great as some would have you believe.

On the whole I think it's definitely the way to go in a small shop.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Mine lifts out. And I have a piece of plywood that fills the hole. What's the big problem?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

When I bought my Grizzly G0555 I got the 72 inch extension with legs. Best investment I ever made.

Reply to
Bob

OK, now I see the problem. To be honest, I haven't run into it, but maybe your work sequence and mine vary.

But can't you clamp a stop block to the fence rail(s) or the table where it doesn't interfere with sawing?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Sure.

Now, what about the router?

This is a case of 1/32" in one of three planes possibly being a big deal. I'm often working on several things at once, so it's difficult to not need one machine or the other, even though one is set up for something.

I'm all ears if something is out there that'll truly solve the problem.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

====================== Without reading the comments of the other replies you have received Let me throw in my 2 cents worth ....

I mounted a router in the wing of a Table saw years ago and to be honest it did work... but I made room in my shop for a dedicated router table after a few years... Main reason was that it was way too low to work comfortably with for any but the shortest sessions... you say it was a pain in the Back...

I still have a router mounted in it but very very rarely use it only because my regular table (bench dog) is set at a comfortable height plus is just so much more Flexible ..

In short I made the room... and I am very glad I did...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Plus if you use your tablesaw as a table or assembly area you can not get to the router... Sounds funny but you would be surprised at the number of times I had to "clean off " the tablesaw to use the router...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.