Anyone Here Tried One Of These?

It's a very intriguing concept, and I could definitely use something along those line on a pending woodworking project. However! Seems to me you wouldn't have all the fine control of it the ad writer implies you would. If you had a couple of handles along the lines of a chainsaw I think it could be accurate enough - nothing like a bit of chainsaw carving. But set-up the way it is I'd be worried it would be inclined to take more off in places then you wanted. I may get one later, for metal-work, I think it would work fine for that, but just wonder how well it would operate on wood.

Any of you guys have any experience with one of these? Good experience? Or bad?

JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.

Reply to
J T

Jim Northey

Tue, Aug 15, 2006, 2:16am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (Jim=A0Northey) doth sayeth: Have used it on the odd wood job. It works if your careful but I think I would only use it as a last resort. YMMV.

That pretty much enforces my own thoughts.

JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.

Reply to
J T

I have this one from HF. I use it on a Milwaukee grinder. Works good but not Milwaukee quality. It's worth the price for those times when you need to get into a tight place.

You know it's important to buy those tools that you might need some day.

Tom H

What keeps the whole thing from spinning around? Some kind of screw that wedges against the grinder?

Reply to
RayV

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:29816-44E1142F-738@storefull-

3333.bay.webtv.net:

For $8.00 I doubt it will be worth much. That has to cost someone about $2.00 or less to make.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Tue, Aug 15, 2006, 1:52pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@google.com (R.=A0Pierce=A0Butler) doth burble: For $8.00 I doubt it will be worth much. That has to cost someone about $2.00 or less to make.

You've never tried one then, eh?. Thanks for your contribution.

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:29816-44E20454-839@storefull-

3333.bay.webtv.net:

No I have ever tried one.

"What you get for nothing is worth nothing" Grandmother Butler

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

I used an air version of a similar tool- it wasn't a grinder conversion, but a standalone thin belt sander with a handheld grip. The idea is neat, but I found that for myself, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be- the two major problems were that the belt liked to slip off the roller on the end no matter how it was adjusted, and was a PITA to put back on, and because the belt was so narrow and moved so quickly, it had a tendancy to gouge things very quickly.

Useful for rough work, an maybe carving- but not really a finishing tool in any sense of the word.

Reply to
Prometheus

Tue, Aug 15, 2006, 2:43pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) doth sayeth: the belt liked to slip off the roller it had a tendancy to gouge things very quickly. Useful for rough work, an maybe carving- but not really a finishing tool in any sense of the word.

I wonder if it would be possible to take down the center of the roller a bit, making two "lips" to hold it in?

That was my thought, it would tend to gouge. I think it'd probably be best suited to metalworking.

For roughing work out, I think I'd prefer chisels. For precision work, nothing quite compares to a chainsaw.

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

| Any of you guys have any experience with one of these? Good | experience? Or bad?

I bought one. Could never make the belt track worth a darn. HF angle grinder worked well though - just not as a sander. :-P

Morris Dovey

Sounds like a Dynafile. Quite common in machine shops. Very fine work can be done with them with a bit of practice. Common tool in the debur room where one slip can cost thousands.

Reply to
CW