Two year-old Lawn Boy spits gasoline

I have a less than two-year old Lawn Boy mower that spits some gasoline out the muffler sometimes when I start it. And when it sits for a week between mowings, gas has dripped from the muffler onto the deck. Any ideas?

Thanks, Phil Thien

Reply to
COMPUTER GALLERY

Is there a gas-shutoff valve, that you'r not using?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Which LawnBoy model 2-cycle or 4-cycle (since now owned by Toro). I usually shut the gas valve off on my 2-cycle when finished with it and let it run until it starts to quit. Keeps the carb from gumming up, and nothing could possibly leak, unless the fuel tank splits.

But I also have a Sears 4-cycle mower left by previous home owner, and it seems to have left an oil slick on the garage floor over winter.

Reply to
David Efflandt

the needle and seat is letting gas by, clean the carb in case dirt is makeing the float stick or change the needle & seat.

Reply to
DR, Bob
2 stroke are totally inneficient as to pollution , and your lawn boy , as is mine is a pollution piece of crappola. Its a normal thing...

Spitting hydrocarbons is a normal attribute of 2 strokers, A polluters friend

Reply to
m Ransley

I don't think it has a gas shutoff valve, it just has one of those bars on the handle that, when released, shuts the unit off (safety feature). It is dark here now, I'll examine the unit tomorrow and see if there is a separate gas shutoff valve.

BTW, it IS a 2-cycle, and I use the correct oil and mix it w/ the gasoline correctly.

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Reply to
COMPUTER GALLERY

I don't think so. It has the handle-bar safety feature that, when released, causes the unit to stop running. It is dark here now, I'm going to examine the unit in the morning and see if I can find a gas shutoff valve.

Thanks for the > > I have a less than two-year old Lawn Boy mower that spits some

Reply to
COMPUTER GALLERY

Its reported 2 stroke produce 30 times the bs as a 4 stroker

Reply to
m Ransley

The carb float isn't floating as well as it should. It's either hung up or sinking. This allows fuel to keep flowing into the carb when the engine is not running. If the float was working properly, the fuel flow would stop when the carb bowl is full.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Is there a repair manual for Lawn Boy mowers available at a reasonable price? I'm pretty sure I can take anything apart and put it back together, but having documentation can sure make the project go smoother. I've never taken a carb apart before.

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
COMPUTER GALLERY

Its normal for 2 stroke lawn boys since most of that is oil - gas from incomplete combustion till it warms up.

Reply to
m Ransley

But, the gas dripping on the deck when not in use is new. The unit is three years old, but has only started acting like this in the last year.

Reply to
COMPUTER GALLERY

See if you gas line is loose or cracked. tighten all screws.

Reply to
m Ransley

Float needle not seating properly, had that happen to me.

Reply to
ks

I just fixed a 7 year old lawn boy float this evening. The float came off with one bolt on the bottom. Once I cleaned up the 2 tiny holes within that bolt, the engine ran fine. Because this was my coworkers mower and he already bought a new one, I just got a free mower!!

So go ahead and take the float off and clean it up. It's easy. Greg

Reply to
GBannish

I just wanted to follow-up that I replaced the needle and seat this evening. The parts were about $5 from the Lawn-Boy dealer where I purchased the mower. I found some diagrams of the engine and carb on Lawn-Boy's web site, which told me where the parts I was replacing were located. I found the old needle had a red ring exposed around the tip (indicating wear?). Kinda surprised that this happened, and hope it doesn't happen again (the mower is only three years old, and I have a tiny lawn so it doesn't get that much runtime). If it happens again, I'm going to be pretty dissapointed in Lawn-Boy. How often do these things need to get swapped?

I'll let everyone know if the problem is gone in a week or two (mower has to sit with gas in the tank for a week to know for sure).

BTW, the dealer quoted me $40 labor to do the job for me. But they have a one-week backlog, and I wanted to give it a shot. I was surprised the carb is plastic!

-Phil

Reply to
COMPUTER GALLERY

One more question. I assume it would be possible to cut the gas supply line and add my own inline shutoff valve. If my assumption is correct, does anyone know where I would be able to source such a valve? On that is the correct size to fit the supply line on a Lawn-Boy? I've already done the carb work, but I figure I can shut the gas off altogether for periods in the summer where I don't have to mow for a couple weeks at a time.

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
COMPUTER GALLERY

Put in a line filter also , that could have been part of the problem dirt. It seems nobody instals these any more at the factory even on many expensive motors. The red inide was vanish caused by gas sitting in your carb. Depending on frequency of use, running a carb empty is best. I never leave gas in over the winter or in my generator a day, I dont want it to not run. More than a month can cause problems. Size is standard go to Ace or wherever they will have the parts. Or snip off a piece where you will need to shorten it anyway. Gas stabiliser is also a good idea. But I wont use 3 mo old gas.

Reply to
m Ransley

Well, changed the needle and seat, but noticed tonight that the unit is still leaking gas on the deck, through the bottom of the air cleaner. Any other ideas? Maybe the float doesn't? Does that ever happen? It seemed like the float could move freely enough when I reassembled it, but that is only going to help if the float actually floats.

Reply to
COMPUTER GALLERY