Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling

I have a 5 year old Kenmore refrigerator, and it is having problems continually cooling. The other day I noticed it was not running, and my freezer items were begining to thaw. The temperature dials were set to normal as usual. Raising the coldness level did nothing. However, when I turned the coldness level to zero (off), and then turned it back to a colder level the fridge cooling turned back on.

The same problem happened again today, and the same "solution" worked. Turning the dial to zero (off), then back up to a cooling level. I don't have a noticable issue with dripping water or frost. I also have very few items in the freezer and fridge. Any ideas?

Reply to
lantern

Could be the cold control is bad. It is only a guess from here.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

How old is the fridge??

Reply to
Lawrence

The thermostat is obviously broken.

Reply to
JimL

So, Lawrence, reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like you caught it in the "defrost" cycle. That'd happen same time, every day. Don't fuss with it !

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. I doubt it is the defrost cycle, unless it is a very aggressive defrost cycle. My ice cream turned into soup..literally. It has happened a number of times now, not sure if it is at the same time each day though. I will look more into the thermostat suggestion

Reply to
lantern

Is the fan running? Our fridge did almost the same thing, it was cool but anything at the front of the freezer would thaw. The tech pulled the panel from the back of the freezer and replaced the fan and away it went.

PV

Reply to
PV